Climate and regulations:
- Decarbonisation -> offers PGNiG the opportunity to expand its customer base and increase sales of natural gas, which is a transition fuel that will replace coal during the energy transition period. It also enhances the potential for advancing the hydrogen programme.
- Green Deal announced by the European Commission -> spurs growth of renewable energy sources (RES). PGNiG believes the new business segment (RES) will help to stabilise its financial performance. Renewable energy sources are not sensitive to movements in hydrocarbon prices, which have a strong effect on the PGNiG Group’s Exploration and Production, Trade and Storage segments.
- Introduction of legal measures supporting the reduction of low-stack emissions (district heating) and new regulations designed to support cogeneration -> provide a foundation for expanding the PGNiG Group’s heat and power generation business based on natural gas, alternative fuels and RES.
- Expansion of the gas infrastructure -> provides an opportunity to grow the customer base and increase gas sales volumes
- Other countries searching for alternatives to natural gas from the east –> PGNiG could supply natural gas to other countries in our region, including Ukraine and Lithuania (small-scale LNG). This could make it the leader of the regional gas market.
- Normalisation of relations with Gazprom -> natural gas purchased at market prices without exposing PGNiG to losses
- Diversification of gas supply sources -> security of gas supplies and optimum economic conditions for the Group’s operations
- Own production assets in Poland and abroad -> to ensure the stability and improved predictability of gas prices
- Own storage facilities -> security of gas supplies
- Digital Field under Industry 4.0. –> improves production efficiency and recovery rates, ultimately enhancing the overall economic efficiency of the PGNiG Group’s operations
- Commercialisation of innovative solutions developed under R&D&I programmes, including the comprehensive biomethane and hydrogen programmes
- New capabilities and business models based on R&D&I activities